The Greeks didn’t just stumble upon enlightenment yet it seems much of our education stops blank at their findings as the gateway to the modern world. However we know that reality is never really as simple as that and recently an article from TruDreadz.com reminded us of this and delved into some of the thoughts and teachings of the amazing Yosef Ben-Jochannan (1918 – 2015), known as Dr. Ben.
NOTE: A card dedicated to Dr. Ben can be found in Vol 1 of our Black History Flashcards, available here
As the article from TruDreadz says:
In the book, he highlights ‘African influences and roots’ and proves that the major religions of “The West” – Christianity, Judaism, and Islam – have African origins. Due to the massive catalogue of information provided by Dr. Ben’s research in African Origins of Major Western Religions (Ben-Jochannan, 1991), I’ll summarize a few components of his overwhelming argument about Major Western Religions having African origins:
- The concept of a “spirit world” can be found in most “traditionally indigenous African religions”, especially before exposure to the Caucasian/European colonization of indigenous territories.
- The concept of “good” and “evil” spirits, ancestors, and omens are found in most traditionally indigenous African religions. ‘Western Religions’ explain this phenomena with terms like “angels” or “demons”.
- Moses of the Bible (as well as everyone else) was no doubt an indigenous African man.
- Sacrificial Drinking (libations) was apart of ancient indigenous spiritual practices and still is practiced by traditionally indigenous ‘religions’. Christians drink wine for the Holy Communion and Jewish Rabbi’s drink wine on the sabbath.
- Elements of voodoo can be seen in the black church. Despite the de-culturalization of indigenous minds by european colonizers, there remains an unconscious reflex to spiritual stimulation by way of chants, distinct tones, harmonies and rhythms (music).
- The 10 Commandments is originally from the “Book of the Dead”, The Hymn of Adoration to the God Osiris – ‘Negative Confessions’, 125th ch.
- Osiris was one, of many, to be considered to be the “one true god” thousands of years be Christianity existed.
- The book of proverbs in the Bible was not written by Solomon, they are from the teachings – collection of poetry and songs – of “Amen-em-ope” (Pharoah/King)
In other words, according to Dr. Ben, – Christianity, Judaism and Islam all stem from the original spiritual systems of indigenous minds from the continent of Africa. Indigenous minds have always been in tune with the full spectrum or balance of the human physical/spiritual relationship. As Chancellor Williams said, “religion to the Africans was far more than ritual reflecting beliefs, but a reality reflected in their actual way of life, religion from the earliest times became the dynamic force in the development of all the major aspects of black civilization (Williams, 1987).”
We have to remember that the world was not still at this time, much of the progression of the Ancient Greeks was due to their contact with the motherland and the long historical context of the cultures developed there.
Philosophy is ALWAYS developed by pondering the past and researching ideas that are already in play.
Read the complete article George G.M James said it best, “The Greeks were not the authors of Greek Philosophy, but the people of North Africa, commonly called the Egyptians were.” here.
PUBLIC NOTE: The opinions expressed in this article are the author's own and do not reflect the view of the Urban Intellectuals, affiliates or partners.