From 27 years in prison to South Africa’s first Black head of state!
Mr Mandela had such an unbelievable life and his legacy will live on forever!
- South African anti-apartheid revolutionary, political leader, and philanthropist.
- South Africa’s first Black head of state and the first elected in a fully representative democratic election. President of from 1994 to 1999.
- During his time in office he focused on dismantling the legacy of apartheid by tackling institutionalized racism and fostering racial reconciliation.
- He was arrested in 1962 for conspiring to overthrow the state and was sentenced to life imprisonment in the Rivonia Trial.
- In 1990, after 27 years in prison, President F. W. de Klerk released him. Mandela and Klerk worked together to help negotiate an end to apartheid.
- These efforts led to and resulted in the 1994 multiracial general election in which Mandela won.
We encourage you and your children to learn more about Nelson Mandela, apartheid and the awful things that happened in South Africa at the hand of its white oppressors, along with the stories and history of those that valiantly fight until this day. Please also share anything interesting you find with us! We love to learn too.
NELSON MANDELA IS A SPECIAL BONUS CARD IN OUR VOLUME 4 BLACK HISTORY FLASHCARDS, DEDICATED BLACK HISTORY PRE-1492. GRAB YOUR DECK TODAY WITH 40% OFF, HERE BEFORE STOCKS RUN OUT.
PUBLIC NOTE: The opinions expressed in this article are the author's own and do not reflect the view of the Urban Intellectuals, affiliates or partners.
FREE 50 Printable Inspiring and Thoughtful Quotes!
Learn, be empowered, educated and engage along with us? Join the Urban Intellectuals Family TODAY and receive your FREE PDF Printable quotes download.